Introduce Yourself

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Introduce Yourself

Page 2 / 3

johnnie7
(@johnnie7)
PU7 maker

John ruggles is the guy from AI. dont think he has a web site but is available on facebook

johnnie7
(@johnnie7)
PU7 maker

ive asked John Ruggles to join here

Malcolm
(@malcolm)

Hi everyone.

I'm Malcolm and I live in the East Midlands. I've recently returned to hi-fi after a bit of a hiatus and have just dipped my toe into the streaming world by acquiring a pre-owned Naim NDX. I used to work in the hi-fi industry in London in another life, but haven't been involved professionally since the mid 1980s. I'm now looking to revive/upgrade my aged analogue vinyl source, having unboxed it and found that some TLC is now required to get it sounding as good as it used to. I have wide taste in music, rock, folk, indie rock, electronica, reggae, pop amongst others and I have quite a decent collection of vinyl and CDs. 

Much of my kit is fairly old, but I have looked after it and I'm still enjoying the music! Present set up is as follows: Late 70s LP12 Valhalla/Zeta tonearm/Koetsu Red cartridge, DNM 2A preamplifier with 2 power supplies, Krell KSA50 power amp feeding Etude MP4 loudspeakers. I have a Naim NDX streamer as well as a Nakamichi cassette deck and a TEAC VDRS CD player, although I have ripped my CD collection to a QNAP NAS drive and the convenience of using the Naim is proving attractive when listening to digital sources. I have a second more modest system in my workshop at home: Audiolab M One integrated amp, Project Audio streamer and Pure Audio tuner and Q Acoustics 3020i speakers. 

I'm now looking to improve my LP12 by upgrading the power supply and I need to get my Zeta looked at as it's humming quite alarmingly. And much as I love the sound of the Koetsu, it's old now and probably needs replacing. Part of my reason for joining was to see if the guys at Audio Origami would be able to help me with the Zeta. I think it was a great arm, but as far as I know, the company that made it (GB Tools?) has long since ceased trading. I've heard great things of Audio Origami, so I'm hopeful that they might be able to sort the problem for me with a service and/or rewire.

All the best,

Malcolm

johnnie7
(@johnnie7)
PU7 maker

hi malcom

maybe time for a lingo1 etc or even lingo 4 if funds allow

problem with your zeta might be the external cable? does the hum come and go if you move the cable?

I can certainly help with the external cable repair of replacement 

since start of covid I only work on the Rega and linn and SME arms...as I have plenty of spares and bearings etc

I dont tend to work on any other arms atm :(

let me know if external cable seems like the issue 

best wishes

j7

1 Reply
Malcolm
(@malcolm)

@johnnie7 Hi Johnnie,

thanks for the very prompt reply.

I don't think that the hum problem is necessarily in the arm cable - although I know that when it comes to earthing issues, very little can be taken for granted! The hum is on the right channel only and doesn't change when the arm cable is moved or jiggled about. The arm cable is non-standard - it's made from Klotz GY107 cable (now called Klotz AC110) terminated with PureSonic RCA connectors and a separate flying earth lead terminated with a spade terminal. The cable was made up by the service engineer when I worked for KJ Leisuresound in W1 and the soldering looks pretty tidy. The problem I have is that GB Tools no longer exist, so there is no one to approach for a re-wire (if that is what is required). As far as I can tell, the bearings seem OK with no obvious play, but I am no expert in these matters. 

I've spoken to Peter Swain of Cymbiosis and he suggested that I get in touch with you to see if you would be willing to have a look at the Zeta and give me your opinion. I appreciate that getting hold of bearings would be problematic, but if the issue was solely wiring related, maybe a rewire might resolve my issue? It would be a shame to have to junk the arm as it otherwise appears to be in good condition.

Thank you for your attention.

Kind regards

Malcolm

johnnie7
(@johnnie7)
PU7 maker

hi malcom

ok if not external lead

might be worth checking your red and green cartridge tags...possible the solder joint or crimp joint is getting old and needed redone

and checking if its a pre amp or similar to near the cartridge and giving a magnetic induced hum?

because the bearings are fragile and hard to come by nowadays I dont work on these arms now (just incase there damaged bearings in transit)

bw

j7

Page 2 / 3