Notifications
Clear all

Thorns turntables drive belts size Help

col
 col
Topic starter
(@col)

Hi All

Well I have owned a Thorns TD150mk2 and TD160mk2 for a number of years now not from new but go from eBay the TD160mk2 has a standard Rega 251 which I purchased from john a few years back and the table runs fine even with the unknown eBay belt but it does need a new plinth and woodwork is not my strong point so it is not in use at this time.

My thorns TD150mk2 is a good runner the bearing runs forever just with a gently turn it also has a DIY Linn arm board on it not made by me though I need to find a three-point  arm board to take the Rega RB251

The belt it came with does have the thorns logo printed on it so I a soom it is the original belt but it will not always run up the motor spindly when switching up to 45rpm not that’s it’s too much of an issue though as I don’t use 45rpm it also does not ways come back down when switching back down to 33 rpm

This thorns named belt is 4mm WD whereas the eBay belts are 5mm but all seem to be good on their diameters and all run correctly at 33rpm I expect the TD150/160 are of the same belt but can anyone confirm the correct size belts and  a supplier for them

Thanks

col

4 Replies
johnnie7
(@johnnie7)
PU7 maker
johnnie7
(@johnnie7)
PU7 maker

then use the app called RPM on your phone to check platter speed

johnnie7
(@johnnie7)
PU7 maker
1 Reply
col
 col
(@col)

@johnnie7 

Hi John All

Thanks for the link john don’t have a phone I am still old school with an incandescent lamp and one-off your strobe discs john. still works for me Cool